Dr.-Ing. Thomas Michel
- Dauer der Mitarbeit:
- bis 2008
- Thema der Arbeit:
- Resource Allocation for Single and Multiple Antenna OFDM Uplink and Downlink Systems
- Research interests:
- broadcast and multiple access channels
- (convex) optimization theory
- multi-antenna (MIMO) and multi-carrier systems
- adaptive scheduling and cross-layer design
- Main research:
My main interest focuses on multiantenna systems for frequency selective channels, where for combating intersymbol interference orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) is employed. In future multiuser systems, each user will be in need of a different QoS (quality of service) requirement according to the kind of service provided to him currently. Therefore, smart adaptive transmission strategies have to be developed, which exploit multiuser diversity and take into account the users' individual states. The optimal transmission schemes highly depend on the kind of channel feedback provided by the system, user mobility, channel properties, rate requirements, etc. A further challange is to take into account real world restrictions as limited feedback, limited computational ressources, etc.
To develop applicable algorithms for real world MIMO-OFDM systems, a broad understanding of the underlying fundamental information-theoretic problems for MIMO and OFDM and their problem structures is of great importance (this turned out to be true especially for MIMO systems, where the theoretic insights resulted in practical schemes such as e.g. BLAST). That is why our studies include quite theoretic topics.
- "Entwurf von Mehrträger-Mobilfunksystemen mit kooperativen, verteilten Antennen (MOSKOVA)" funded by the Federal German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)
- industry project
Some sites of interest...
IEEE Copyright Information
The following statement applies to all publications on this site that are published in IEEE Conferences or Journals. This material is presented to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work. Copyright and all rights therein are retained by authors or by other copyright holders. All persons copying this information are expected to adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each author's copyright. In most cases, these works may not be reposted or mass reproduced without the explicit permission of the copyright holder. IEEE Copyright policies.
- Journal Papers
- submitted to IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, accepted, 2009.
- submitted, 2009.
- AEÜ-Archiv f. Elektronik u. Übertragungstechnik, 2008, to be published.
Optimal Resource Allocation for parallel Broadcast Channels: Minimum rate constraints and sum power minimizationIEEE Trans. on Information Theory, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 4817-4822, Dec. 2007.
- Conference, Symposium, and Workshop Papers
- Proc. ITG/IEEE Int. Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA), Darmstadt, Feb. 2008.
- Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Communications (ICC), Glasgow, June 2007.
- Proc. ITG/IEEE Int. Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA), Vienna, Feb. 2007.
- Proc. 8th IEEE Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications (SPAWC), Helsinki, June 2007.
Nonlinear Downlink Beamforming under QoS Constraints: Optimum Precoding Order and the Need for Time-SharingProc. IEEE Int. Symp. on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), Athens, Greece, Sept. 2007, invited.
- Proc. Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers, Nov. 2007, invited.
Utility Optimization based on MSE for Parallel Broadcast Channels: The Square Utility Optimization based on MSE for Parallel Broadcast Channels: The Square Root Law45th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, Sept. 2007.
- Proc. IEEE Information Theory Workshop (ITW'06), Punta del Este, Uruguay, Mar. 2006.
- Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP '06), May 2006.
- Proc. 7th IEEE Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications (SPAWC '06), Cannes, France, July 2006.
- 15th IST Mobile & Wireless Communications Summit, Myconos, Greece, June 2006.
- Proc. 14th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO), Sept. 2006, invited.
- Proc. 9th Intern. Symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Commun. (WPMC), San Diego, USA, 2006.
- Proc. 9th IEEE Intern. Symp. on Spread Spectrum Techniques and Applications (ISSSTA 2006), Manaus, Brazil, Aug. 2006, invited.
- IEEE Int. Symposium on Information Theory and its Applications (ISITA), Seoul, Korea, 2006.
- Proc. of Allerton Conference on Communication, Control and Computing, Monticello, USA, Sept. 2006.
- Proc. IEEE Intern. Conf. on Communications (ICC '05), Seoul, Korea, May 2005.
- International ITG/IEEE Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA), Duisburg, Germany, Apr. 2005.
Solution to the Sum Power Minimization Problem under Given Rate Requirements for the OFDM Multiple Access ChannelProc. of Allerton Conference on Communication, Control and Computing, Monticello, USA, Sept. 2005.
- Proc. 8th International Symposium on Signal Processing and Its Applications (ISSPA 2005), vol. 1, Sydney, Australia, Aug. 2005, pp. 143-146.
- Proc. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Fall '04), Los Angeles, USA, Sept. 2004.
- 2005, Technical Report.
Last modified 29.01.2010 15:59